What is walkathon?
All Lily B. children, faculty, volunteers, and participating families will complete a single loop through the Lily B. neighborhood. Unlike some walkathons, we are not collecting pledges for the number of loops that are walked. Each child collects donations up-front for participating in the walk. All donations should be collected during our donation drive. On walkathon day, we just want to have fun and enjoy the walk, not walk until we drop!
What are the goals?
We are aiming for 100% student participation. To achieve our overall goal of $20,000, we are asking all students to try and raise at least $40 in donations. All donations help us reach our goal! We will use the money we raise to fund grounds improvements, art and music programs, teacher training camps, classroom computers, extra school supplies for our classrooms, and more!
Why have a walkathon?
There are many benefits of having a walkathon over our traditional gift wrap fundraiser.
- All of the proceeds raised go directly to the school!
- Promotes the school by walking and singing through the streets.
- Going green! We are striving for no waste from the walk; only recycling!
- Celebrate kid power and Lily B. team spirit!
- Students get some exercise!
How can parents help?
There are lots of ways that you can help! First, help your child to understand and to get fired up about walkathon. Next, assist your child in collecting donations. For walk day, please fill out the volunteer form and turn it in to school!
How are the students being kept safe?
- A parade permit has been submitted to the City of Fort Worth.
- Police will be patrolling traffic and blocking major street crossings.
- Every classroom will be with a teacher and 2-3 parent volunteers.
- Every child will be given a free red Lily B. t-shirt for walk day.
- The map was designed to avoid busy streets and crossings.
- The walkathon is being held during low traffic hours.
- Cars will be separated from walkers by a street-wide Lily B. banner.
- Water will be provided at school and 3 stations.
- First Aid volunteers are available for skinned knees!
- A shady street will be blocked for a holding area and turnaround station.
- 5th grade safety patrol will be on duty.
How do I collect donations?
Glad you asked! Check out the Donation Toolkit for tips and sample scripts.